Simple Ways to Practice Self-Care
It’s easy to let self-care slip down the priority list. With the demands of a job, family, and friends, there’s not a lot of time or energy to devote to yourself. And before you know it, you’re stressed, exhausted, and maybe even sick. Time to take back control and schedule some self-care.
Taking care of yourself isn’t just important, it is essential! This book will help you start taking care of your mind, body AND soul.
The good news is that self-care doesn’t need to be expensive holidays or massages or yoga retreats (although they do sound pretty good). Self-care be can simple, easy, and straightforward. In fact, the best self-care is the constant repetition of small acts of self-love and kindness. Doing small things every day is easy and effective.
Here are some suggestions to get you started...
- Switch everything off (smartphone, tablet, computer, TV) just for an hour, and enjoy some uninterrupted silence.
- Stand up and stretch your arms above your head. Wriggle your fingers and toes. Shrug your shoulders up to your ears, and then drop them down. Do a few head circles, nod and shake your head gently.
- Breathe gently and deeply, in and out, three times. Smile.
- Put on your favorite song and get up and dance.
- Take the dog for a walk. If you don’t have a dog, borrow a friend’s dog and enjoy watching them live in the moment.
- Buy yourself a healthy treat. Choose the ripest peach, the most luscious looking mango, the most fragrant strawberries.
- Sit under a tree and feel the quiet.
- Have a self-date and go to a movie or museum.
- Get some positive strokes. Ask three friends what they love about you.
- Have a nap. A twenty-minute nap or zone out can make a huge difference to your energy levels.
- Give yourself a night at home. Have a bath and eat dinner on the sofa in your jammies.
- Have an early night and take that new novel to bed and read for a while before getting a good night’s sleep.
- Listen to a meditation on your smartphone or tablet. There are lots of apps with thousands of guided meditations for everything from relaxation to weight loss.
- Treat yourself to your favorite childhood food.
- Take a friend to the park and go cloud-watching. Lie on your back, relax, and just look at the sky.
- Declutter your social media. Mute or delete people who drag you down with negative energy.
- Take one day every week where you do something for you, whether it’s a hobby, sport, bookshop browsing, or staying in bed reading.
Do something every day that nourishes your mind, body, and soul, and you’ll find self-care is not so hard after all. It’s time to Choose Yourself first!